Minneapolis Drug Crimes Defense Lawyer
There are many types of drug charges that a person can be charged with in Minnesota. The exact charge depends on the drug, the quantity of the drug, and the exact activity that was taking place when the individual was found with that drug. The penalties can be serious and the mark on a person’s criminal record can last a lifetime, but that is no need to give up hope.
At the Barry Hogen Law, those charged with drug crimes can be given a solid opportunity to defend themselves against the charges. This means having a high quality defense with an experienced Golden Valley drug crimes lawyer by your side every step of the way. Just because you have been charged with a drug crime doesn’t mean that it is the end of the road for you.
Defense Against All Drug Charges
If you or a loved one has been charged with drug possession, distribution of drugs, the trafficking of drugs, or the sale of drugs or drug paraphernalia, you need experienced representation. Getting caught with or being accused of having drugs in your possession can be very confusing and frightening. Law enforcement may do such things as week forfeiture of the motor vehicle that you are driving or forfeiture of money that is in your possession because it is believed to be from the sale of drugs.
With the help of an experienced and dedicated drugs crimes attorney, you may not have to pay the maximum penalties. Here are the different levels of drug charges:
- First Degree Drug Possession or Sale – If in possession of 25 grams of meth, cocaine, or heroin; or 100 grams of marijuana; or selling 10 grams or more of meth, heroin or cocaine; the penalty is up to $1 million in fines and 30 years in prison.
- Second Degree Drug Possession or Sale – If in possession of 6 grams or more of meth, cocaine, or heroin; or 50 grams or more of a narcotic other than the aforementioned drugs; or 50 grams or more than 100 doses of amphetamine or a hallucinogen; or 50 grams of marijuana; or selling 3 grams or more of meth, heroin, or cocaine; the penalty is up to $500,000 in fines and 25 years in prison.
- Third Degree Drug Possession or Sale – This charge is a felony. If in possession of 3 grams of meth cocaine, or heroin, 10 grams of a narcotic other than the aforementioned drugs; 50 or more doses of a narcotic, 10 kg of marijuana, or 5 doses of LSD, as well as the sale of any amount of heroin, meth, or cocaine, the penalty is up to 20 years in prison and $250,000 in fines.
- Fourth Degree Drug Possession or Sale – Also a felony, the intent to sell any amount of heroin, cocaine, or meth or in possession of 10 or more doses of a hallucinogen can result in $100,000 in fines and up to 15 years in prison.
- Fifth Degree Drug Possession – This is one of the least serious charges with 410,000 in fines and up to 5 years in prison for being in possession of a small amount of any controlled substance.
- Marijuana charges – Being in possession of 42.5 grams of marijuana or less is constituted as a petty misdemeanor that can result in fines of $300.
Defending Your Rights
If you were found with any other substances in your system, such as barbiturates or Ecstasy, You can be charged with DUI. It is very important that you have your Hennepin County drugs crimes attorney by your side throughout this process so that you do not have to face the charges alone and can have a better chance at a better future.
Contact A Minneapolis Drug Crimes Attorney
Drug Crimes are taken seriously in the Twin Cities and throughout Minnesota because of the harm that drugs can do to people.
Such cases are aggressively pursued so that as many drugs as possible can be taken off of the streets. If you or a loved one has been charged with a drug crime, it is important to contact a defense attorney as soon as possible.