Obtaining a Limited License or “Work Permit” after a DWI Conviction

Minneapolis DWI Attorney Barry Hogen

Being convicted of a DWI is a serious crime that has the potential to impact innocent lives. The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) will cancel your driver’s license following a DWI conviction.  The job of the DPS is to keep the public safe, and drunk drivers have no place on the road.

Once the court proceedings are complete and the conviction is in the books, you can apply for a limited license which will permit you to drive to and from work or school and abstinence programs. The requirements and restrictions vary depending on whether this is your first offense or you are a repeat violator.

All Minnesota DWI offenders have the option to regain driving privileges by having an ignition interlock installed in their vehicle:

Effective July 1, 2011, first-time alcohol offenders with an alcohol concentration of 0.16 or above and all second-time alcohol offenders have the option of regaining their driving privileges by participating in the Minnesota Ignition Interlock Device Program.

Drivers whose licenses are canceled and whose privileges are denied as “inimical to public safety” are required to enroll in the Ignition Interlock Device Program for a period of three to six years in order to regain full driving privileges. DPS/Interlock

The word “inimical” means that the DPS has declared you a danger as a driver. The ignition interlock is a device that the driver must breath into in order to start the vehicle. If the interlock detects an alcohol concentration level 0.02 or higher the vehicle will not start and the information will be recorded and transmitted to the monitoring authority.

For those DWI offenders who have multiple convictions (more than 2 within 10 years), regaining the right to drive is a more complicated and lengthy process. And the restrictions last longer and the use of an interlock device is mandatory. If you are facing a DWI conviction and are not sure what your best course of action is, you need to consult an attorney with the depth of knowledge and experience that will help you navigate the legal system. Making a mistake can affect your situation for years to come. Contact the Barry Hogen Law, we specialize in criminal defense.

Please go to our contact us page and request an evaluation today.

The interlock program works in conjunction with the limited or restricted license. First-and second-time offenders need to go through several steps in order to regain driving privileges with an ignition interlock:

  • Pass the DWI Knowledge test, pay a $680 reinstatement fee and apply for a new license at a license exam station.
  • Sign the special review form
  • Apply for special registration plates – these plates are required when your plates are impounded due to your conviction, and when your first offense is with a 0.16 or higher alcohol-concentration level.
  • Obtain an insurance certificate from your insurance company for the vehicle with the interlock installed.
  • Sign an ignition interlock participation agreement.
  • Submit the agreement, test fees, insurance certificate and other required documents to Driver and Vehicle services.
  • Install an ignition interlock.

As you can see, the steps to get driving again have to be completed correctly and within the constraints of the DPS. If this DWI offense is your third or more, the list of requirements and restrictions becomes even more complex. Being able to drive is a necessity for so many of us – it’s how we get to work and school and do all the other important things in our lives.

Don’t let the complexities of the legal system cause you to make a mistake in solving a DWI problem. Getting expert guidance is vital to your continued ability to function and work yourself past this crisis. Contact Barry Hogen Law Criminal Defense today.

Filed under: DWI
Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U